UJIA has had a presence in Manchester for decades and today is one of the most important organisations providing Israel education and connecting the whole community to Israel.
We have an office in the heart of Jewish North Manchester, with regular programmes in the South too. Manchester has a proud history of being a community with a close and deep connection to Israel and UJIA is here to sustain and nurture that passion.
Every year we bring a Shaliach/Shlicha to engage with the community, in partnership with the Jewish Agency for Israel. For 2022/23, we are delighted to welcome Or Ribon to Manchester. Or works with all ages and in a wide range of settings across Manchester – if you would like her to speak to your community, please be in touch! In addition, we support and supervise the work of two Shinshinim, who work in schools and with youth movements and other groups.
UJIA JAMS is our provision for Jewish students at non-Jewish high schools and currently operates in Manchester Grammar School, Cheadle Hume School, Altrincham Boys and Altrincham Girls, Manchester High and Langdon College. From speaker events to alternative provisions during carol services or other school activities, UJIA JAMS is here to support Jewish pupils. Currently, UJIA JAMS is primarily online, including via our podcast JAMS Radio.
In addition, we offer a wide range of other programmes:
• Regular sessions for all ages in King David Primary and King David High School, as well as other Jewish schools across the city
• A new podcast aimed at Primary School-aged children called “Hatikvah Histories”
• Our IBBM programme, connecting those coming up to Bar/Bat Mitzvah age to Israel and Jewish values (North and South Manchester)
• A unique connection to teenage Israelis telling their story in the week of Yom HaZikaron/Yom HaAtzmaut
• “Countdown to Tour” – a chance for those 16 year olds signed up to go on Israel Tour to bond and prepare for this trip of a lifetime in the months before they go
• Next Generation Leadership course for adults
• Teen leadership course
• Pre-campus prep programme for Sixth Formers across all schools looking at many topics but specific to the challenges students can face on issues relating to Israel
• Support for all the youth movements operating in Manchester
• Many Mancunians also go on Birthright Israel, Onward Israel and Masa